What is it?: This is a sample subscription box like ones that have been released previously (Birchbox, MyGlam, Luxebox in Canada etc). You pay $15 (a bit pricier, but no more tax! thank you thank you thank you~) a month and they send you a box of 5 deluxe samples to try.
Sample Society Box features some nice brands you can check out at BeautyBar.com.
Why do you want it?: It exposes you to brands and products that you might not go out and try yourself, and gives you enough of the product so that you can really get a feel for it.
So I have been stalking this box to tell you the truth. It says that it's been out for delivery for a long time. It didn't actually come to my doorstep until 13 hours later. It's funny that they set the box inside the front storm door. Guess they might be worried about rain?
Overall... I'm kind of meh about this box right now? Maybe I'll grow to like these items more but this is my first review impression. I'll update with more details as I get to know these products like I did with the first box.
I thought for sure this time we'd see some makeup product or something with color (so many people were asking for makeup products after the last box). And in the email of telling me that my box shipped they had a picture of eyeshadow T_T. By the Allure logo it says "skin.hair.body.makeup fragrance" so.... sadness. And they ask about makeup in the beauty profile so I just assumed.
Turns out people really liked the items that I wasn't so fond of the first round, huh. They should have 2 types of boxes differentiating between skin types (oily vs dry use really different products!)
Well, Let's go!
DDF Amplifying Elixir - DDF's Amplifying Elixir can strengthens the skin's moisture barrier by up to 50%. Banyan leaf, lotus flower and red clover extracts improve hydration and transform the skin's appearance.
- Clear and very liquidy- reminiscent of the Juice Beauty Cleanser's viscosity.
- Smells kinda chemically when you put your nose right up to it. Barely noticeable.
- Not able to see any immediate difference. You're supposed to follow it immediately with moisturizer and I guess it helps absorption and hydration. No noticeable feeling.
- *EDIT* I tried it under my usual moisturizer. This particular one is thicker (supposed to help with rejuvenating skin- don't see any of that >.>). I actually could tell that the moisturizer absorbed more into my skin. Usually it stays on top longer and gives a slightly sticky feel (being that it's thicker and all). Now it's not sticky at all, if anything it absorbed so much my skin was still thirsty for more! I'm not sure how much I need this (especially for that price, owie), but this would be good for someone who had some kind of skin treatment that they would like to absorb better. Maybe for acne or something?
- Definitely recommend trying this product if you ever have the chance.
- There must be a type-o somewhere because the box says the moisture barrier is strengthened up to 70%. Or is it that beauty bar people personally tested it and found that it's not that good? =P
- Verdict: It does help to make things absorb better, but not something I really need. Especially at this price.
- Full size 1.7 oz $63, sample size 0.5 Fl oz worth $18.53
Murad Hybrids Acne Primer- Refine your skin tone and minimize the appearance of pores with this acne-fighting primer, which creates a smooth, non-shiny matte finish. It's the secret tool for ensuring a flawless foundation application.
- This kind of reminded me of the BB cream concept. It acts to control breakouts with .5% salicylic acid, primes for makeup and leaves a matte finish. So I decided to see if it has any coverage (supposed to be usable in place of or under foundation.)
Oops, guess not really.
- On my dry skin this was indeed a matte finish. Much dryer than I like my skin to be, so I won't really be using this product. It's a runnier product.
- The pump is so cute though!! XD <-- sucker for packaging.
- Full sized 1 oz $35, sample size .17 Fl oz worth $5.95
By Terry Echantillon Creme de Rose- provides soothing nourishment for tired and thirsty skin effortlessly for hours, softening lines and wrinkles for a firmer, more youthful appearance. The luscious scent of roses makes every velvety application a sensuous experience.
- Sure it smells like roses. If the roses are drunk. Like rose mixed with pear that's wayyyy too ripe and starting to smell alcoholic.
- Cream is thick. I don't feel like my skin is nourished from its "thirst". If anything there's more of a frictious texture. Speaking of, I had the opportunity to shake hands with another dry handed person- it's so weird because we both have friction from our skin so it's more like tough skin rubbing against dry tough skin, lol.
- I'm not fond of the texture (you probably can't tell if you don't have dry skin already) that my hand is left with, but this smell is addicting. I really want to eat something, or grab a drink now, haha. But not $99 worth -___-.
- I don't feel much product in this sample =/ maybe one or two uses. Tube is barely halfway filled. And you'll notice that it's already almost 1/7th of the original size. Wow that's not affordable. How many containers of this would you have to buy to see results? Did I miss something? Is it like only for the eye area?
- *EDIT* I've used it on my face now. It says for normal to dry skin. This dry skin is finding the formula a little too dry still. Should I have used the DDF Amplifying Elixer under? haha.
- Full size 1.01oz $99, sample size .14 oz worth $13.72
Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil Hair Serum-Banishes frizz and flyaways, Hydrates and protects your hair. Provides instant, long-lasting shine
- Saw this and thought "ugh another hair oil"- remember I just had one from Orofluido from my last month's Birchbox.
- The bottle has a cute dropper so you can control the amount of oil you get.
- It works to an extent (not perfect), but some are tough so we'll let it slide.
- You can see it does have a shine effect, careful not to apply too much like I did or you'll get a greasy looking hair
- IT SMELLS SO GOOD. I cannot emphasize this enough!! It reminds me of green tea bubble tea. Except it's Jasmine. But OMG. I just want to buy it to smell it! >.< Does Oscar Blandi make this in a scent?? I want it on me! I want to smell this all day long!
- Full size 1.69 oz $35, sample size .169 fl oz worth $3.50
Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel-daily cleaning formula which develops a purifying lather to gently clean your skin pores. It helps to refine the look of pores leaving your skin fresh, comfortable and good to touch. This gel has a complex blend of botanical amino acids and other natural things that help to protect your natural complexion.
- Last but not least. This one was an interesting one. It wouldn't open -__-. No matter how hard I squeezed, product would not dispense. Then I thought well then they must have a seal, so I tried to take off the top. It would not come off no matter how hard I tried. I was about to take a pair of scissors and poke a hole in it after 10 min. Then I remembered that you can just take the top off. So I used a pencil to poke a hole. Who says you can't have brains and beauty? tsk tsk boscia, watch that quality... made in Japan too, I'm disappointed in you.
- Cleanser and makeup remover.
- Clear and viscosity of glycerin. Gentle, and lathers gently. I can see how it would be good to take off makeup, it has this texture that seems good for dissolving makeup in. Haven't tried it out on heavy makeup yet though.
- Verdict: Nice, but ehhh... not seeing anything too special yet.
- *EDIT*: Just full on used it on my face. It does have a nice lather and feels gentle, yet face is left like it has been cleaned afterwards. The only problem is 10 minutes after use, I started noticing my skin getting REALLY dry. We're talking full on flaking dry- which it hasn't done since I stopped the stronger cleansers. I don't want my face flaking so not buying >.<. This product has undone what the peels and microfoliant from last month have done. /Maybe those with normal to oily skin can give it a shot. I have heard good things about their other products though, so I'm open to trying them out.
- Full size 5oz $26, sample size 1.69 fl oz worth $8.79
Overall: Total Box Value ~$50.49
VALUE: How can you complain?
APPEARANCE: Cute as always, I noted that each sample had its own little box. Although it seemed excessive, at the same time it prettied the samples up and took them up to the next level. A lot of the times the packaging also provides more information than the bottle or the site.
ITEMS: I don't know. I think I might be slightly disappointed. Sample Society (mainly because some items are just no suited to my skin = won't use)... people it's not just about how expensive these things are, I also want products that I'll use and can save up to splurge on =/. I think you have to include a makeup item in the next box now. Meanwhile Mr. Oscar Blandi should consider making a scent out of this Jasmine concoction if he hasn't already. Or I should grab that shampoo (but I really want the scent to last!).
FAVORITES: Nothing too stellar, but gosh the Jasmine Oil and Rose cream smell so good.
Better Luck next time I guess =D
THOUGHTS? Have/Had it? Want/Don't Want it? Comment Below!
MY BEAUTY PROFILE:
Skin Concerns: Dullness; Lines, wrinkles, aging; Dark Spots, uneven tone; Blemishes and breakouts; Sun Damage. Yep, a lot going on here.
Top Concern: Dark Spots, uneven tone
Makeup Products I Love: Foundation/Concealers, Lip stick/gloss/shine, Mascara, Blush, Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, Nail polish. Probably quicker to tell you which I don't care about.
Biggest Challenge: Lip stick/gloss/shine. Not really. More like I love these especially but challenge to get the right product.
Hair: Breakage, split ends, color fading
Result I want most from hair products: Volume; better hold less frizz
Favorite Scents: Fresh (clean, fruit); Floral
Just looking at the profile it seems like they tried their best to match the skin and scent criteria.
Join the Fun!
Before you say anything, no they didn't pay me or give me anything for free at all. Even though I'm heavily endorsing this, it's just because I think it's a great thing.
Sample Society is new, but it's already sold out of subscriptions. I suggest putting in your email for the waiting list if you even remotely think you may want to join. Go to BeautyBar.com and click on "Sample Society" link under the dark navigation bar. While you wait for it to open for subscriptions you can ponder it some more.
When you sign up please use my Referral Code "JMANGO" (without quotes): NOT because either of us will get rewards (we won't), but because they will donate $5 to charity! What a great way to make the most out of your purchase, all it takes is you copy pasting the extra bit and you can help others in need as well.
It is set so that they will donate $5 each time you use my referral code on each of their six sites (Beautybar.com, Diapers.com, Casa.com, Soap.com, Wag.com, Yoyo.com = total of $30 possible donations) for your first purchase. The money will be split across their 5 charities by default, but you can set it to distribute the funds to just the one charity of your choosing. I left mine to default because I feel like these are all great causes.
You set up a beauty profile- their FAQ notes that the boxes are NOT customized yet.
Their FAQ also notes that you can't see the products beforehand BUT YOU CAN. They list the products under your tracking information in the email, and after your box is mailed you can see pictures of the products in your Dashboard as well. I peeked.
It does have a reward: Basically you get $15 off a $50 Beauty Bar purchase each month if your order includes at least ONE brand that you sampled in your box that month. Isn't that great?! And I think it's Free Shipping with $25 purchase for new customers. So that $55 REN face peel would still be a painful $40, but less painful than $55.