Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Concealers: L'oreal and Sonia Kashuk

I must admit, I'm a very brand loyal person. When I find something that works I stick with it, and I have absolutely no desire to look at other options. So you can be sure that when I decided to change from my L'oreal liquid concealer that I was unsatisfied with something.

I've been using this particular type of concealer for about 3 years. Wow, that's a long time when I think about it. I actually managed to finish one or two of them. I have two tubes of the thing now because I lost one of them for a while. Before I never really cared since I only had a spot or two to cover. Now though, I'm breaking out all over the place and require quite a bit of product to cover. That's when I noticed that the liquid tends to show up all the cracks in my often dry skin. Highly unflattering. I should mention that I never use moisturizer, which could be part of the problem, but even when I do results are about the same.

Thus I decided to change to a wax/ stick type of concealer, one that was thicker and wouldn't enter every single crack. I tried a tidge bit of my mom's Neutragena one, but I found that to be a bit to oily for my tastes, or my skin. It would probably come right off. I also want to mention that the L'oreal one tends to dry skin a bit, so it would be good for people with oily skin.

I was poking around target and decided to give Sonia Kashuk a try since my friend had said that their concealer quad was really good. I will say, I'm not blown away or anything, but I am satisfied because just as I had anticipated, it doesn't soak into every crack, and justs lays on top, so the dry flaking skin is less noticeable. Strange though, how when I went there were only 4 shades that seemed relatively close to each other. What about the people who were much lighter or darker than my skin tone? that doesn't seem right.

Anyhow, I've included pics. The darker L'oreal used to be lighter, but as you can see, it oxidizes a lot. I think it started out being an exact match to my skin upon first application. The lighter one was even lighter before, but I found it too light for my skin so I added some of the darker one to darken it a shade. The coverage looks good here, but on areas with dry skin it looks horrible.

While you may be saying to yourself, "Hey, the Sonia Kashuk one looks cakey and horrible", you should also know that I slapped a LOT of product on this time, normally i wouldn't use so much, and I would use moisturizer which DOES make a difference. It actually looks better in real life. The coverage is so much more smoother looking. Still, you can see how it's a bit too yellow for my skin. I might have done better getting #20, but at the time it was hard for me to tell because of the cap- it's burry and foggy so the colors are a bit different.

Despite this, I would say I don't regret buying the Sonia Kashuk, but I'm not entirely sure I'd buy it again. I'll still be on the lookout for a better concealer.
Oh, and the Light L'oreal isn't actually that light and different from my skin, it's the flash of the camera that makes it look that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment