Thursday, May 31, 2012

Glossybox USA: May 2012

It did arrive it May! =D Color me thoroughly surprised. Overall thoughts? I like it!

Let's start with the packaging. Woah. That's all I could think for a while. The box is substantially larger than the sample society/ Birchbox boxes. Out of the three, this one has the sturdiest box (then SS, Birchbox last). The outside cardboard is a bit flimsy, but your actual box isn't even flexible. I was expecting to get something similarly sized as SS/Birchbox, just with heavier or more expensive things inside. I'm going to mail my annual gift box to my friend in this- it's a waste to keep to myself.











Left hand in some pics so you can compare size.


What's Inside?


1. Marvis Whitening Toothpaste



  • Thicker and grittier than my Colgate
  • Claims to have a sharp mint flavor. It's not really that strong. If Colgate is an Altoid, then the Marvis is a tic tac.
  • There's no seal on the opening
  • Teeth feel clean afterwards. Maybe all the grit inside is doing something. Can't attest to the whitening aspect yet.
  • Full Sized 1.23 oz, worth $7.50
2. Zoya Nail Lacquer- Arizona



  • I can't believe there's a full sized Zoya!! I LOVE ZOYA! It's 4-Free (no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, or camphor). Read more at ZOYA. If you use my LINK to sign up for an account, they'll also give you a voucher for a FREE bottle of polish. Add in 2 more and you get free shipping!
  • Arizona was the color I was craving until I got it. It's a little darker in real life than what I expected. Too bad they didn't give me Roxy to try >.<
  • Full coverage with 2-3 coats
  • I already have this polish, so if you want I can sell it for $6.50 shipped in the US, email me at juicedmang0s@gmail.com.
  • Full Size 0.5 oz, worth $8

3. Burberry Lip Mist Lipstick- No.202 Copper





  • It's so cute! The tube is plastic but looks really sleek. The packaging designers must really be getting the big bucks. 
  • I'll admit, the idea of a lip mist doesn't really interest me. I prefer dramatic changes in color or effect. Seeing that the color I had was "Copper" didn't help either.
  • Turns out, it's not really a "Copper" color. Sheer wash of color. It does add a bit of warmth.
  • Extremely creamy lipstick- not drying at all, quite the opposite. I would almost say it's a non sticky lip gloss/ very emollient balm.
  • Not something I would personally splurge on, but if you are looking a bit pale and still want to keep it natural looking, this is the way to go.
  • Full size 0.12 oz worth $30. Sample size .028 oz worth $7
4. Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Refreshing Hydra-Gel Oil Free




  • If you want cute and interesting cosmetic packing, it has to be the Koreans. I'm sure you've seen through all my blog posts how design is a really big factor of their industry. This little one is no exception. Normally we think the "jar" aspect should hold the cream, and the lid be smaller. Not the case here as you can see. This is a quality container that can be used for something else. The top of the lid features a reflective area that can be used as a mirror! In the future I may put a couple pumps of BB cream in here for traveling. 
  • Claims to be formulated without oil or water
  • It is indeed cooling. This is great timing on Glossybox's part because the heat wave of summer is coming >.< we've already experienced a couple 90 degree days. The effect is most likely due to the alcohol.
  • For normal to oily skin, hope it doesn't dry out my dry skin. Interestingly enough it has a lotion-like consistency as well.
  • Full size 1.7 oz worth $100, sample size 0.28 fl oz worth $16.47
5. Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Mask for Dry Hair



  • Light lemon-y? scent. Thicker consistency. Tube is like those foil toothpaste/ hairdye tubes.
  • It works nicely. I've been using conditioner for hairdye, so my hair is used to strong conditioners. This one is a couple steps up from your normal conditioner in regards to conditioning power.
  • It's not extremely different or special so I won't purchase this
  • Full size 6.7 oz worth $38, sample size 1.7 oz worth $9.64
6. Glossybox Blush Brush- Goat Hair


  • I have been considering purchasing a blush brush so this is a nice surprise. Admittedly, I thought the hairs were synthetic. It's not a very soft brush =/.

Overall Box Thoughts

  • Love the packaging. Love how the items are large enough for you try the products a few times (even full sized ones).
  • Not sure how many of the items I'd actually use. I'm still continuing with Sample Society because they have introduced me to a couple products that I adore.
  • VALUE: Total Box Value ~$48.61. It's mostly the really expensive Hydra-Gel. Take that and the expensive hair mask away and you basically got what you paid for. 
  • FAVORITE ITEM: Amore Pacific Refreshing Hydra-Gel
  • Wasn't particularly interested in the toothpaste
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE how they have items from different countries. I hope they continue with this, it's really cool! And that is something that would set Glossybox apart because they are an international company so they can use this to their advantage.
I'm definitely cancelling my second Birchbox (to heck with the points transfer), and will wait a couple more boxes to decide whether Glossybox is right for me! -___-;; I do really have to narrow it down to like 1 subscription box soon. 

More on Glossybox
  • A pricer subscription box ($21), but offers larger samples in comparison to Birchbox.
  • Also supposedly has a points system (through reviews), where you can get a free box after accumulating points... maybe because the site is in beta, but I don't see where you can do this.
  • Claims to be tailored to our beauty profiles, but as we are yet unable to fill those out I'm assuming everyone gets the same box this month. It would be interesting to see what different things they come up with though 
  • Sign up at www.glossybox.com
So? Now that you've seen the first box, what do you think? Is it something you would shell out $21 for? Are the products things you would use?

No comments:

Post a Comment